RE: Real-World Ethical Questions

Subject: RE: Real-World Ethical Questions
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:41:30 -0400

Hi, Robert...I used to do exactly what you described. I discovered that
making a strong solid case and presenting it the right way is always more
effective than a hint dropped the wrong way. In both cases, it makes just as
much heat...just one produces more light than the other.

That's where good bosses come in. While managers are peers and should be
working toward the betterment of the project, they also like to get points
over their same peers. I guarantee...submit a short, to-the-point analysis
of the situation to your boss, with scope of the problem, the customer
impact, and, important, a solution, and it WILL get past the PM to those who
not only care (sales), but who can do something about it (pick a title that
starts with a C and end ends with O). Granted, the boss may take the credit,
but that's not why ya do it anyway, right?

Otherwise, people will just be running around, maybe for reason, maybe
not....but by the time they all stop running, they'll all be looking at you.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
Although she lives with seven other men, she's not easy.
------ Magic Mirror