RE: Hostility towards STC

Subject: RE: Hostility towards STC
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:44:58 -0400

>How can TWs convince the public (or, at least, potential
>clients and employees) that there is a screaming need for
>A) higher quality standards in tech writing, B) that
>certification will fix this problem, and C) that the
>extra cost of such certification is well worth it? We're
>starting out from a tough position, compared with accountants,
>lawyers, or MDs. If they're incompetent, you can lose your
>money, your freedom, or your life.

Ready for some ideas...5 off the top of my head?

1) Have representation at technology-heavy trade shows where they aren't
talking to themselves, but to positions such as CIOs and CFOs,
2) Maintain positions on standards-setting initiative.
3) Produce white-papers on specific ROI stories and make them available
outside of the association.
4) Have technology-savvy representatives from name companies make
appearances at chapter-related functions of other industries telling their
story of how they saved X money
5) Submit ROI/benefit articles to technology-specific trade publications
that aren't written FOR technical writers.

The problem with this is that it requires the STC representatives to talk
the language of the audience.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com