Re: Hostility towards STC

Subject: Re: Hostility towards STC
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:19:27 -0400

Another note on certification:

A degree from medical school entitles a person to be addressed as Doctor. You can put on a white coat and run around the hospital and see patients and look at charts and all kinds of cool stuff. But it takes some number of years as an intern, resident, whatever, and then undergoing some sort of rigorous testing or reviewing process (I don't pretend to know the details) before you really _are_ a doctor, entitled to hang out your own shingle and treat patients without someone else supervising you.

I would never suggest that certification be a requirement for an entry level tech writing gig--or really for any tech writing gig. I don't see it as being useful for keeping people out of jobs. I just see it as something you take to your current employer and use to leverage a better assignment, a raise, more authority, ....

Certification, if it is ever to exist in the field, should be a way of demonstrating that you _are_ experienced, not a way to _get_ experience.

Dick

kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com wrote:

Maybe your first eight months would have been easier, but they probably
would have occurred two or three years later in your life, to allow time
for you to have amassed the certification. I didn't have that kind of
time. I needed a big change and I needed it fast. So again, that probably
skews my opinion in this discussion.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/