RE: Real world ethical questions

Subject: RE: Real world ethical questions
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:08:48 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 12:29 PM

...<snip>...

> Obviously, you should be looking for another job.

Yup

> Probably, one thing that you should do is to create an alternate
> version of your documents for those products that accurately
> describes them. Then, use THOSE versions as part of your portfolio.

I disagree. If you're going to use this product's documentation in your
portfolio, use the "company approved" version. If the discrepancies come up
in the interview, you can talk about it, (but it probably won't).

> If your company's product is widely used, you might want to write a
> "For Dummies" (or similar) book

A possibility, but even if it eventually becomes a bestseller, it won't
really help your financial picture any time soon (if you've ever played in
the professional publications field, you know what I'm talking about).

> You should also get all such commands (as were issued by your boss)
> in writing. If the issuer doesn't do it, then you send them an e-mail,
> summarizing your understanding and asking if it is correct. Do a
>blind cc: to your home e-mail, and to other people whom you trust.

Get/create a paper trail: Yes.
Include other people outside the company in the creation of such a trail:
Not a good idea. Aside from the personal issues that can cause, which I
won't discuss (but have seen first hand), it could be considered a violation
of your NDA, and leave you, not your boss, the one with the larger problem.

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com