RE: Hostility towards STC

Subject: RE: Hostility towards STC
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:47:56 -0400

My point is that we can't pigeonhole the skills we use day in and day out
and say that in order to be a certified tech writer we must conform to x, y,
and z. All industries tech writers work in and all types of tech writing
have different needs and demands. If we take all the custom stuff away and
focus on the broad skills, here's what's left:

* the ability to communicate clearly
* project management skills

Now how's that different than any other job out there?

We can't even certify on grammar (at least not easily), unless we want to
isolate certification to one language.

So what do I do all day? I consider the big picture and get crap done.

Bill Swallow
wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com