Question: Submitting blind writing samples

Subject: Question: Submitting blind writing samples
From: "Milton Brewster" <milt73 -at- sonic -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:58:08 -0700

I am a new subscriber to this list -- I apologize if this question
has been answered before. have a question about how to evaluate
writing samples.

***

I was just asked by a headhunter to mail my writing samples to a doc
manager. No phone interview; no personal interview; no explanation
of the specific project: Just mail your samples and take your
chances. The Doc manager is experienced with documentation and with
supervising writers.

I believe that when a Doc manager makes a hiring decision based on a
brief look at an anonymous sample, that manager will more often make
the wrong decision than the right decision. She will drown in
samples essentially submitted blind to her; misplace lots of them
and not understand most of them. She will not have any background
information concerning ANY sample she receives. She will not
develop any sense for the real skills and working habits of the
writer she selects. ... and I believe it is profoundly inappropriate
behavior, professionally.

What do you think?

Has this ever happened to you? What did you do?

How important do you think your samples are? Do you think they
fairly and completely represent your skills and experience?

How do you present and explain your samples in an interview?

What is appropriate and professional behavior regarding samples
these days?

milt brewster
milt73 -at- sonic -dot- net

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/