RE: Project Planning (Was Creative Technical Writing)

Subject: RE: Project Planning (Was Creative Technical Writing)
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:43:06 -0600

I'll plan out the major milestones at the beginning, and add "stepping
stones" to the plan as the need for them (or for that level of tracking)
arises. I've found that listing the major milestones along the top row of a
spreadsheet, and the project components down the first column provides me a
place where I can "X" each item as it's completed. The spreadsheet can be
easily expanded/contracted depending on the project's complexity and the
number of milestones I want/need to track. Since I usually have multiple
projects with similar milestones, I often track them on the same sheet.

It helps me know where I am on each project at a glance, and doesn't take a
lot of time to maintain.

One amusing benefit of this system occurred last summer when I was working
on a huge project with individual chapters being contributed/reviewed by
multiple individuals. I posted the chart for that project on my office
door, and had the contributors constantly dropping by to see where they were
in the process, who they were ahead of/behind, etc. It provided a little
bit of added impetus to those who were lagging. Bright note: the project
was actually finished a few days ahead of time!

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com