RE: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: RE: Who cares about ethics?
From: "David Hickey" <david -dot- hickey -at- cgi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 11:35:20 -0400

Greetings!

I think an important distinction needs to be made here, especially since
some people *still* can't see the world of difference between "taking
responsibility" and "taking blame".

Ethics are a set of rules that you use to determine how you conduct
yourself. We all have some kind of rules that dictates how we treat our
clients/fellow workers, whether we are conscious of that or not.

Having ethics doesn't necessarily mean that you follow some higher moral
code. Morality is something else entirely. If my ethical code states
that I must do everything humanly possible to produce top notch docs for
my client and your ethical code states that you will produce "Good
Enough" documentation, gouge the client for every penny, and chase down
third graders with your snowblower during your lunch hours, we are both
following an ethical code. Different ethical standards, but ethics all
the same.

I think that, in terms of the original statement, technical writers do
not ascribe to ONE CENTRAL code of ethics defined by some higher
authority.

So, if anything, the original statement is flat-out wrong and
misleading. We all follow ethics of some kind, but the morality of those
ethics are what the question should me about.
--
John David Hickey
Mtl_techwriter Moderator

Documentia Inc.