Re: Who cares about ethics?

Subject: Re: Who cares about ethics?
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:44:20 -0700 (PDT)

"Dawn Whitlock" <> wrote

> How do you feel about the following statement:
>
> "Most professional technical communicators largely ignore the subject of
ethics,
> despite regular articles in the STC's Intercom magazine, believing ethics to
be
> largely irrelevant to their professional development."

The fact that there are a lot of articles in Intercomm about ethics is reason
enough to ignore them.

Ethics means following a code. Well, who is going to develop that code? STC?
Good God, no. "Thou must have a comprehensive font selection methodology."

The thing about ethics is that if you have to teach them to people, then you
have bigger problems. I mean, if somebody is going to call themselves a
professional but they can't even grasp some basic business ethics, then you
have to wonder what is wrong.

Moreover, the best ethics don't require a preachy, pretentious Intercom
article. There the same things you learned in kindergarden or on Star Trek:

be honest
be responsible
help others
share your knowledge
learn from others
work hard
keep an open mind
fire only when fired upon
mistakes are opportunities
don't feed the tribbles
when the fecal mater hits the air moving unit, send in a red-shirt dude
When the captain asks how long it will take, double your estimate so you look
like a miracle worker

Basic stuff.

Andrew Plato

http://tax.yahoo.com