Re: (fwd) Lock numbering

Subject: Re: (fwd) Lock numbering
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:17:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com writes:
> Lisa Wright wrote:
>| JPosada -at- book -dot- com (John Posada) wrote:
>|> Hi, guys...in Word, I have a table where the first column uses
>|> automatic numbering. I now want to convert these to hard coded
>|> numbers. I don't need to convert them back.
>| "Change a field result to regular text"
>| Click the field, and then press CTRL+SHIFT+F9.
> This'll work if they're SEQ fields but not, I believe, for regular
> auto-numbered paragraphs.
> (I always use SEQ fields for numbered lists, but it didn't sound like
> that's what John was talking about.)

If he's using auto-numbering, the low-tech solution works. You have a
numbered list, you want just plain text, but with the numbers? Cut the
numbered list, paste it into Notepad, then cut the numbered list in
Notepad and paste it back into Word.

I get a lot of really ugly Excel spreadsheets that should have been
written in Word in the first place. The easiest way to import these things
into Word involves pasting them first into Notepad to kill all of the OLE
crap that Windows cut & paste seems to bring with it, and then cut out of
Notepad and paste back wherever. It preserves tabs and carriage returns
(and turns some OLE things, like cell boundaries, into one or the other of
those) but that's about it.

--
Huey

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/