Principles for procedure writing - grade levels

Subject: Principles for procedure writing - grade levels
From: "Eileen Neumann" <eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:00:26 -0400

Hi,

I found in the business world that this was a huge misconception. I came
from a journalism background and thought that writing to a grade 6 - 8 level
was a good thing. My manager seemed to feel that writing to this level meant
I (and by extension her department) lacked intelligence, and / or looked
down on my reader.

I like to tell people that the works of Shakespeare are written at a grade 8
level.

There's a big difference between complex sentence structure, that is long
sentences and paragraphs and multi-syllable words, and complex or
multi-layered content. I find business writing to be structurally complex
but content poor. It's written to a grade 12 level alright, according to
Microsoft, but once you take the time and trouble to decipher it, it's not
saying much. Content grade 2, language needs a PhD to decipher!

Writing to a grade 6 level is absolutely not the same as writing to sixth
graders...

My 2 cents,
Eileen

Eileen Neumann
Technical Writer
eileenn -at- the-wire -dot- com
Toronto
(416) 535.6891

Probably the worst Saturday night of the year, which was why Inspector John
Rebus had landed the shift. God was in his heaven, just making sure.

Ian Rankin
Mortal Causes

Subject: Re: Principles for procedure writing
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

We always have to remember that writing to an 6th
grade reading level is not the same as writing to an
6th grader.

Maggie Secara

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com