Re: Importance of professional relationships

Subject: Re: Importance of professional relationships
From: Janet Murphy <janet -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:54:39 -0400

IMO, Andrew's post is spot-on. Early in my contracting career here in telcoland, I
received 2 valuable bits of advice:
1) Cubicle-itis is the kiss of death
2) Get a professional attitude, do a professional job, and charge a professional
rate if you want to be treated professionally.

I've been contracted continuously for 14 years at one telco. I can count on less
than one hand the number of other contractors who have been here as long as me.
I've seen 'em come and go.

All employees, regardless of their position/title, should read and absorb Andrew's
two lists, esp. if job stability is desired.

Here's my additional two cents:
1) In the presence of clients, SMEs, and non-tech writing co-workers, NEVER speak
of grammar, novels, fonts, style guides, DTP, STC, or the wine tasting you attended
recently. Normal people are highly uninterested in these perceived elitist topics.

2) In the presence of clients, SMEs, and non-tech writing co-workers, ALWAYS ask
them how their job/project/deliverable is coming. Be interested in them. Show a
desire to learn more about what they do. Listen instead of talking.

Janet Murphy
Cincinnati, OH

Andrew Plato wrote:

> <snip a bunch of good stuff.
> I think the reason some people are having such problems with their managers and
> co-workers is <snip> that writers have not sufficiently built the
> professional relationships they need to do their job.
> <snip>
> As I have said before, the single unifying factor in all your failed business
> relationships is YOU.
> <snip>
> Now, I am going to anticipate a question out of this post - how do I go about
> building successful relationships with my co-workers. That is not something I
> can explain, easily. I can tell ten things that will piss people off and likely
> land you in professional Siberia. This includes:
>
> 1. Whining 2. Blaming 3. Shirking 4. Bitching
> 5. Obsessing over the trivial
> 6. Nagging 7. Brown-nosing 8. Sniveling
> 9. Squawking 10. Insisting on being ignorant

> If you really want respect in this profession then you're going to have to
> accept some sobering realities that STC and its ilk won't tell you:
> 1. Build professional relationships based on knowledge not requirements
> 2. Acquire solid technical and scientific knowledge
> 3. Reason is more important than process and methodology
> 4. Take responsibility for your work.
> 5. Be an authority in your subject area(s)

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com