Re: Antwort: Re: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done

Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done
From: jenny_berger -at- fairfieldresidential -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:18:16 -0500

It is also somewhat distressing to hear a fellow tech writer advocate for
an adversarial relationship between tech writers, developers and
management. That is what I got when I read without emotion your comments
about how management should order developers to "do their jobs" and pony
up info to tech writers. And that's what I still got when I read your
follow-up comment about making interaction between writers and developers
"policy." Please elaborate and correct me if I've misinterpreted.

>From my experience, such policies do more harm than good because it tends
to remove the tech writer's responsibility for content from the equation.
I know you're not meaning to say that developers should be providing tech
writers with content, but that's how it ends up being interpreted by both
developers and tech writers when it becomes "policy." Professionals don't
like to be micromanaged, and mandating through policy that developers be
available to tech writers has exactly that effect.

Jenny Berger
Technical Writer
Information Systems
Fairfield Residential

"Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
Sent by: bounce-techwr-l-115343 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
04/08/2003 09:21 AM
Please respond to "Bonnie Granat"

To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
cc:

A final clarification:

I have not said, nor would I ever say, that it is management's job to get
information for technical writers. An unemotional reading of what I have
written will reveal that fact. It is somewhat distressing to see how eager
some people are to distort my very simple statements in an attempt to say
that
I support wet-nursing, molly-coddling, and other assorted strange
behaviors.

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com