Re: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done

Subject: Re: Responsibility, blame, managers, and getting the job done
From: Gene Kim-Eng <gene -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:41:25 -0700

I've actually had developers lock my writers *out* of the development process,
including attending development team meetings, until a particular date, saying
that things were "too fluid," and that "there won't be anything for you to document
until then," putting them in a position where it wouldn't be possible for any writer,
no matter how good, to produce what our company at the time considered a
"standard" document set. My approach to this situation was to have the writer
prepare a documentation plan based on reducing the document set to what could
realistically be done in the time allotted, and to not cut down on any of the verification
steps needed to ensure that what little could be done was accurate. When the
product manager saw how little documentation would be going out the door with his
product, the doors opened. Perhaps that kind of management support is what
Bonnie had in mind, because it's easy to imagine a writer who didn't get it being
doomed to failure from the start no matter how "responsible" he or she is. But that
would be my definition of "time to start jobhunting" handwriting on the wall, and I
would say that a writer who would remain in such a no-win setting any longer than
was absolutely necessary was not being responsible for watching out for his or her
own well-being.

Gene Kim-Eng

At 12:00 PM 4/7/2003 -0400, Deb M. wrote:

It has been my
experience as well that management does not mandate that developers make
time for writers and reviews.

Purchase RoboHelp X3 in April and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture and WebHelp Merge Module. Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com