Re: About responsibility and fault

Subject: Re: About responsibility and fault
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 07:31:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: April 07, 2003 01:06 AM

> "Bonnie Granat" wrote
>
> > I am not calling for hand-holding. I am calling for managers to *tell*
> > developers that they MUST give writers what the writers need. I am saying
> that
> > managers must ORDER developers to perform their jobs, which include the
> > imparting of information to writers, in a way that is satisfactory to
> > management.
>
> You don't manage professionals by ordering them around. Most professionals
> don't appreciate managers that meddle in their work and boss them around.
They
> definitely don't like being told to wet-nurse a technical writer who is
> unwilling/unable to get up to speed on a project.

Yes, it is quite true that professionals don't need to be ordered around.
They just need to be told what their jobs are. I used strong language in an
attempt to clarify my meaning to you, because it seemed to me that there was
some confusion in your mind about what I was actually saying.

It is part of the job for a developer to give information to writers.

One manages others by telling them what their jobs are and making sure they do
it. Excusing bad management is no solution.

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/products/robohelp/