Re: Article: "Living Documentation"

Subject: Re: Article: "Living Documentation"
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:58:12 -0500

<<More importantly, it is reflection of the "manager" attitude that all workers
are just out to screw
the company, to put the check in the bank, take office supplies, and avoid
work by fondling their fonts, tweaking their tools, and piddling with
processes.>>

And considering that the main proponent owns his own company and has repeatedly
stated his general disdain and mistrust of ALL techwriters is that any wonder.

<<It's this black-and-white attitude I take umbrage with. Things are rarely so
clear.>>

Yet certain members of the list continually take that black-and-white attitude
and are simply amused that anyone takes offense at it.

And no, I don't point it out because I feel targeted. I KNOW I'm good at what I
do, and in the projects I've been involved with I've been a resource for the
engineers. I also survived a layoff this week that hit 25% of employees across
the board, so I'll assume that my management backs my belief.

Yet, surprisingly, some of the documents I have been responsible are far from
100% acurate. How could that be? Well, concidering that the manuals are some
25,000 pages trying to catch up to a continuously changing target it's not until
well after the final design changes are out the door and stable that we'll be
able to really catch up and close the manuals.

Eric L. Dunn

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com