RE: COMPU:Re: the customer knows best?

Subject: RE: COMPU:Re: the customer knows best?
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 16:36:05 -0700

Ah, but there is no documentation (a marketing decision). Only the online
Help, which has precious little of the marcomm-type material.

I agree completely with the techcomm + marcomm approach, I'm just not sure
that giving the users 3-5 pages of marcomm, and then directing them to the
Help for the techcomm is going to be overly useful to non-technical users.
My instinct says that these users are going to want both questions ("why do
I want to do this?" and "how do I do it?") to be answered in one place.

It's been a very good project, and the people have been great to work with
from a technical perspective. I'm just not sure if they're accurately
assessing the target audience - or if I am, for that matter. It's been a
-very- long time since I would have categorized myself as a "non-technical
user" and maybe my expectations are too high.