RE: INDUSTRY COMPETITIONS

Subject: RE: INDUSTRY COMPETITIONS
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:38:20 -0500

>pay attention . . .. For example, I don't see an
>employer making a decision to not lay-off technical
>writers, and lay off more of some other group, say
>engineers or programmers, because of an award the
>technical writers just won . . . though, I'd like to
>be wrong about that. ;?)

I'd guess it would depend on the difference between your department and the
next one. If one department out of two needed to go, and the difference
between the two departments was almost a dead heat, could this recognition
be the tiebreaker?

OR...suppose there were 5 writers in the department and the mandate came
down that each department was trim their personnel by 20% (1 out of
5)...could participation in the submission be the determining factor of who
goes and who doesn't?

Understand that I'm not totally convinced of the value of competition...I'm
trying to make up my mine...consider these questions more like thinking
aloud.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
NY: 212-414-6656
Dayton: 732-438-3372
"Alright, nobody move! I've got a dragon here, and I'm not afraid to use it"
---------- Donkey

Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com