Re: Estimating a Project

Subject: Re: Estimating a Project
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:42:59 -0500

That's where we technical communicators can make a real contribution to the companies with whom we work. If we start asking for specifications, and marketing requirements documents, and design documents, making a rational case for why these artifacts are useful to the product development process, then we can eventually bring about some improvement in that process. It helps our own efforts, and overall contributes to a better quality product.

Sometimes it takes a while (a long while!) for an organization to understand that building a product "on paper" first saves time and resources farther down the line, but once they "get it" life looks a whole lot better!

Schermerhorn, Robert wrote:

Beth Agnew wrote:
Probably because we so often have to work without them. :-)

Thank you! That was my point exactly :-) And what I find interesting is
how many products, evidentally, are getting developed without solid MRDs
and specs.

Regards,

Robert

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com