RE: Metric, American Measurements

Subject: RE: Metric, American Measurements
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:04:49 -0500

<<Seriously, an international audience might be very confused if "English" is
used to describe "American" measure; indeed, many Americans would be, also.>>

Which brings us back to S.I., Imperial, and U.S.

Some of us with a British upbringing find it insulting to have the measures
refered to as English. Last I knew the measures in question were applicable to
the entire British Iles and indeed the entire British empire. Throughout my
life, as a Canadian, I have been bropught up being taught the two(three) systems
and know the difference between gal(imp) and gal(US).

While I have seen one conversion program use gal(UK) and gal as the
abbreviations, I can't remember ever seeing gal(Eng). Saying they're English has
about as much sence as calling something American, New Yorkian or something
Canadian, Ontarian. And calling the entire system American or US is just plain
wrong. Seems to me that the only US measures are the short-changed liquid ones.
The rest originated long before North America was settled by the Europeans.

But then again, don't get me started about moronic English sports fans showing
up at England vs. (Scotland/Northern Ireland/Wales) matches waving the Union
Jack. <SIGH>
For those that don't get it, it would be the same as having a sports match
between two states or cities with one team being supported by idiots waving the
US flag and the other supporters correctly waving their city or state flag.

Eric L. Dunn

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com