RE: What is required to be a tech writer?

Subject: RE: What is required to be a tech writer?
From: Vikas Arya <varya -at- quark -dot- co -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:58:57 +0530

Hi Iliana,
About your query I would like to say that the requirements for a
Tech Writer are vague indeed. Be it anywhere. There is no set criteria. The
only criteria is the job requirement. The job requirement vary from one
organization to another and should be kept in mind when applying for a Tech
Writing job or hiring a Tech Writer. There are a few standard software which
a Tech Writer need to know. But again it depends on the Job profile. For
example, if I am writing a courseware I will not be using the RoboHelp
software because RoboHelp is for creating Software Help Files. As far as
education or preparation for a Tech Writer goes, the key things are
simplicity and curiosity. Have a eye for details and write in simplest
manner. That is all what can take you to the success. Apart from that,
experience is the biggest thing. I hope my mail make some sense.

I know this is weird but do you happen to know Elsa Marinova??? She
is from Sofia only. I am trying to locate her but haven't got any success.
She once told me that one of her friends' name is Iliana. So, I am making
this weird assumption that she was talking about you. If you do not know
anybody called 'Elsa' or 'Else' please forgive me for troubling you.

Regards,

Vikas Arya

Tech Writer,
Worldwide Product Services India,
Quark Systems.
0172-299144.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com