RE: Marcom as TechCom

Subject: RE: Marcom as TechCom
From: "Anita Legsdin" <anita -dot- legsdin -at- watchmark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:44:28 -0800

Isn't this what's commonly referred to as "task-oriented documentation"?
We receive requirements documents from our customers, and that's what I
use as a foundation for our user documentation. The user guide does not
consist of a list of windows and explanations of fields, it consists of
process maps and procedures that tell how they can implement FeatureA or
FeatureB, to accomplish task1 and task2 of their daily job. Context
help, of course, is screen-oriented, and cross-references topics in the
other user guides. Even in screen-oriented context help, you can provide
an "Example" paragraph that provides a glimpse of nifty ways you can use
the tool/window/feature.

I can see how this would be totally different were I writing a Fortran
or C# manual. But even in those cases, sample programs can provide the
"why should I care" portion.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com