Re: criteria and motivations RE: Maximum File Size For Word Documents

Subject: Re: criteria and motivations RE: Maximum File Size For Word Documents
From: joannak -at- teleknowledge -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 01:52:57 -0700

> Apologies if this came off as a tool-measuring thread.
> That was not my intent. (See below.)
>
> --- dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com wrote:
> >
> > Sean,
> > > I think people use Word
> > > because, a) it's ubiquitous, b) it's perceived as
> > > being free because it's bundled with hardware
> > > purchases, c) people making the decisions are not
> > in a
> > > position to know its shortcomings for some
> > > applications, d) it's available in a variety of
> > > languages.

You are correct! However, the main issue that has caused us to remain with
Word is the ability to track changes. Our company, like so many others, is
in a position where the direct input of SMEs is required...literally. This
means that they will update, review and modify documentation directly in
the documents. As the company TW, I need a way to quickly identify and
edit their work...tracking changes is the obvious answer.

So, the question is, what other programs provide this type of tool, and at
what cost? Documentation management is a big issue. The stability and
single-sourcing capabilities of Frame and other programs are very
attractive, but if using them in this environment means tripling the time
involved, or if the cost of licensing is high, then the ROI is lost.

Comments? Suggestions?

Joanna

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com