SUMMARY: Maximum Size of MS Word Files

Subject: SUMMARY: Maximum Size of MS Word Files
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:19:22 -0800 (PST)

First, my thanks to all who responded to my request for information about large
files created in Microsoft Word. I've gotten several good ideas that I'm
experimenting with now.

My question was in two parts. First, what is the maximum workable size for a
Word file. As several people pointed out, there are memory, ram, processor
speed, etc. that need to be taken into account.

Several people suggested that 200 pages was a practical maximum, though it was
also pointed out that page size might not be as useful a measurement as the
size of the file was. FWIW, my file was running about 2.5MB. I'm using a Dell
INSPIRON 8200, 1.6 GHz, Intel Pentium 4 with 256MB of RAM. Oh, yes, it's a
Windows XP operating system.

The second part of my question involved linking the Word files together in a
way that allowed document maintenance to be effective. The suggestions I got
in this area basically were to use RD Fields to create my TOCs and Indices.

Jill Shindelman provided a link to Microsoft Support
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q211489&;, which is for
Word 2000 but provided some useful information as well.

Thanks to the following people who responded to the questions raised:
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes,Carly Martin, Alanna M. Blinn, Keith Cronin, Rick Bishop,
Jill Shindelman, Maggie Pierce Secara, Ronald Schwarz, Gene Kim-Eng, and
Zhen Rong Wang.

Finally, I'm really sorry to see that the thread has degenerated into a tools
holy war. (Sigh) That was never my intent.

Thanks to you all.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 03/11/2003
Whether you're dead right or dead wrong, sooner or later you're dead. You might as well die doing what you think is right.

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com