re: Visio question - Line labels

Subject: re: Visio question - Line labels
From: SIANNON -at- VISUS -dot- JNJ -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:24:16 -0700

John Posada asks,
"When you click a line to enter a label, it insists
on putting the label in the middle of the line. For
short spans, no troubles. However, some of my lines
may be 3 feet long (or longer), so ... What I would
like to do is place the label near the start of the
line (and in a perfect world, repeat the label X
number of inches, but this may be too much to ask).
... Anyone have a solution?"

Well, it's kludgy, but here's one idea I've had to use in a similar
situation: You can connect multiple lines, at the end-points, and have
the label attached to the appropriate shorter lines. You'll have to make
sure to remove any arrow-ends from the beginning/middle lines, unless you
want to use them as a prompt halfway along a long line (to enable readers
to see what direction a line is going without having to trace a distant
endpoint to find out).
One warning: By "connect" I mean using snap-and-glue mechanisms to
ensure the ends line up cleanly (lines are "objects", after all) -- using
group or "join" may net you annoying side-effects. Depending on what
snap-and-glue settings you use, you may need to toggle a few preferences
long enough to connect your lines, and then toggle them back, but it
should work sufficiently for your needs.

Shauna Iannone
"Sleep is for the weak...just not *this* week..."

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com