Re: A panel discussion for the '04 STC conference about improving documentation ...

Subject: Re: A panel discussion for the '04 STC conference about improving documentation ...
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:44:08 -0800 (PST)

<> wrote in message news:191895 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

Hello,

My name is Laura Purcell, and I am a tech writer in Knoxville,
Tennessee. Recently, I have been conducting some in-house
interviews to help improve our documentation (I write user's
manuals for hardware and software in the machinery health
maintenance industry). The results have been fascinating.

> Has anyone else attempted a documentation improvement plan
> recently, or conducted similar research? Would you be interested
> in presenting your findings? I would like to propose a panel
> discussion for the 2004 STC conference.

100 out of 100 readers prefer documentation that is:

Accurate
Insightful
Helpful
Easy to read
Authoritative

Therefore, any documentation improvement plan should focus intensely on
ensuring total accuracy, gathering valuable product/tech insight, and making
the docs as simple and as helpful as possible. This can all be accomplished
with:

- Intimate familiarity with the products & technologies
- Reduced reliance on SMEs for content
- Lots-o-pictures n' diagrams
- Address multiple audiences, simultaneously (marketing, sales, tech, etc.)

Whatever you do, don't mention my name at the STC conference. They will
probably toss you out (and make you pay double.)

Andrew Plato

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com