RE: 11X17 documentation

Subject: RE: 11X17 documentation
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:25:33 -0700

John -

When I worked at the city power plant, the engineers wanted all of the
reference material I produced for them to be 11x17. We printed it
single-sided, bound at the top, with a spiral binding so pages could be
flipped easily. The engineers also often had me print out individual
individual pages that they could laminate and post/hang in clusters from the
equipment it related to. Because they were working in areas that didn't
often have the best lighting, or a lot of coal dust, the smallest font I
could use was 14pt.

For your situation, which I assume to be much different, my only comment
would be to use three or four columns rather than just two. The eye really
only wants to scan so far across the page.

You might also want to modify your headers/footers - "typical" styles that
run across the full width of an 8 1/2x11 sheet might not look as good when
expanded to the 11x17.

FWIW,