RE: Reading the Digest

Subject: RE: Reading the Digest
From: "Gary S. Callison" <huey -at- interaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:23:19 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 24 Mar, isljam -at- yahoo -dot- com ("I. Ljaljicic") wrote:
> Samuel.Beard wrote
>> If you want a REAL challenge, try figuring out how to mount one to a
>> REAL bicycle
> This sounds like quite a wacky project. But i
> gotta admit, it sure is fun to try to think of how to
> make something like that possible. my own thought
> towards That end is to get some metal strips, a 12x12
> piece of plywood and some short screws as well as
> something to keep the board from tilting when it is
> latched onto the bike. after that all you gotta do is
> figure out how to lash a laptop onto the plank of
> wood(which shouldnt be too hard).

Engineeringwise, you have two problems: 1) you're going about this from
entirely the wrong direction, and 2) you're reinventing the wheel.

Anybody who has ever tried to read while riding a bike can tell you that
there's one extremely important factor to consider: the reading material
has to be positioned such that peripheral vision can still be used to
avoid crashing into things. Putting the screen down by the top tube isn't
going to work real well, it needs to be up in your field of vision.
I think the only way you're going to make this work is with a clear
fairing, an extremely bright reversed panel pointing forward at the
fairing, and even then it's only going to work on cloudy days.
Alternatively, you could try using an overhead transparency LCD panel
(probably find these pretty cheap used right now) and count on your
ability to get distance vision from refocusing often and looking through
the panel.

Regarding the second issue:
http://www.xybernaut.com/Solutions/product/poma_product.htm or
http://www.xybernaut.com/Solutions/product/ma_tc_tech.htm or any of a
couple other xybernaut products. They're pricey, but they're very sexy,
and you could read the digest and ride a bike at the same time. ;-)

--
Huey

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com