PS Printer Driver, ATM and OpenType Fonts

Subject: PS Printer Driver, ATM and OpenType Fonts
From: "kandis" <kandis -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:33:38 -0500

Hi All,

I'm trying to unravel a font mystery and I'm hoping I might find some
guidance here.

My company recently bought some fonts (a bunch of different styles of
Helvetica), which I was instructed to install using ATM lite (4.1, build
243).

I have just discovered that when I switch to my Generic PS Printer driver to
print to postscript (with the end goal being a PDF file), I get an error
message that the font information on my system has "changed". Suddenly the
ATM fonts were replaced by other, unmatching font faces. (It's interesting
to note that although the FrameMaker console said that all of the ATM fonts
were not available, it seems that only regular Helvetica was actually
replaced with Times New Roman. Odd...) Very undesirable results which I
attempted to fix.

Figuring the problem was in my PS printer driver, I downloaded and installed
the latest Adobe Generic Postscript Printer Driver (linked to the Acrobat
Distillr PPD). I used the same settings I used for the previous printer
driver (I won't detail those here just now). Now, when I create PDFs, all of
my ATM-installed fonts look fantastic and crisp, but every other font I use
(mostly Georgia) look like garbage and all my color is missing?!?!

Does anybody have any idea as to what is going on here?

Thanks for your help!
Kandis

--
Documentalist
http://www.toonboomstudio.com

Toonboom Technologies Inc.
7 Laurier Street East
Montreal Quebec CANADA
H2T 1E4
http://www.toonboom.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com