Thanks! Re "Page 0" in Word - HELP

Subject: Thanks! Re "Page 0" in Word - HELP
From: Keri Morgret <morgret -at- stanfordalumni -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:35:19 -0800

Thank you everyone for the prompt suggestions! I didn't receive "switch to Framemaker" as a suggestion, but I think this is one more piece of ammunition for making the switch some time down the road..

Some of the suggestions I received follow. I ended up copying all of the document BUT the last paragraph to a new document, then it worked. I lost some formatting (fonts, colors, etc.), but that worked out the best. Someone had suggested tables in the headers could be a problem. I took out the tables in the headers of the original document, and page numbering started at 2, but then at least incremented - so it was a partial fix for me.

Keri Morgret

[I can't remember if people post summaries to this list or not, but I thought I'd put all the answers in one place in case you may know somebody in a similar situation. Or you may be in a similar situation, and if you're in a situation like that there's only one thing that you can do, walk into Redmond and say "I can't do a thing I want, in Microsoft's Word Processing App". And walk out. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day, walkin' in, sing a bar of Writer's Lament, an' walkin' out? And friends, they may think it's a movement. And that's what it is. The Writer's Lament Anti-Microsoft Movement]

--------
I don't know if this applies to you but when I had the same problem I
discovered that it was caused by having images in tables in the header.
I think I found out about this problem on the Word MVP site. As soon as
I took the images out of tables (in the headers only) the problem went away.

Rhonda
--------
I used to have a similar page numbering problem with Word 97 sometimes. The document is probably corrupted. The only way I found of surmounting the problem is to cut and paste the content into a new document. NOT the whole lot but page by page, avoiding end marks, section breaks, etc. Sometimes you may even have to do it para by para or table by table; but it beats recreating the whole thing from scratch.

Good luck, Ant
-----
Are there section breaks in the document? That would be my first question.
If so, try the following:
- go into the header/footer (wherever your page number resides) and make sure it is not linked to a previous section.
-remove the section breaks and them and replace them if necessary.

Debbie Moulton
Technical Writer
-----
I, too, had a similar problem in Word 97. I believe it was a problem with my
template, but since I never had the energy to rip the template apart and try
to find the culpret, I ended up going into the Format Page Number section
and forced the numbering to start at 2. (If I forced it to start at 1, it
numbered the page 0, so I figured I'd try 2, which numbered the page at 1.)
Of course, each time I reran the TOC or index, the pages renumbered
themselves back to 0. And if the index spanned two pages, the second page of
the index renumbered itself to 1...

I'm using the same templates with Word 2000 and haven't had these
issues....yet. But I'll be prepared when it happens!

Susie
----

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com