RE: Requirement analysis

Subject: RE: Requirement analysis
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:28:18 -0700

I am almost exclusively involved in the Requirements process, as my job here has been shifted to Requirements writer. Almost all the Requirements we create here are enhancements to existing systems. Our process is that a BSA works with the client to create a "Discovery Document" that explores the business need for the enhancement. The client solutions manager can approve or disapprove of this enhancement. If he approves, we go into a Joint Application Design (JAD) session with the BSA, one to several user representatives, one to a handful of developer representatives and a QA rep.
I document the requirements to a template I have pre-defined. I send it out for review, and then drive it into signoff.
Skills that I use to do this:
- an ability to hear and understand complex issues from multiple points of view
- an ability to communicate to multiple audiences
- research and analysis when the JAD session doesn't answer questions
- planning and project management to get things done
- the ability to create a good looking professional document quickly
- Problem solving skills (how to handle JAD participants who don't agree, etc.)
- knowledge of process (how to follow a process but also how to modify process to get things done)
- background knowledge of our software and of our business

Value added:
- The requirements are well documented. Badly documented requirements play a part in almost every failed project, so having well documented requirements can help avoid failure.
- Issues and future enhancements are documented.
- Communication between the diverse groups that make up the team is enhanced.
- Requirements documents are created in a timely fashion.
- Requirements documents are more readable and understandable.

Value to me: continued employment. Priceless.

:-)

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor, 034
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com

Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark.

--Rabindranath Tagore