Re: Bunch of Wiseacres, Aren't We? (Was: BAD Writing)

Subject: Re: Bunch of Wiseacres, Aren't We? (Was: BAD Writing)
From: "Jeff Hanvey" <jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:01:31 -0500

My advice is available through my website...

Check out
http://www.jewahe.net/techwriting/articles/techwriting/gettingstarted.htm

The main idea is that you *don't* have to rewrite something - just get out
there and document something.

If you don't have the contacts, one of the best ways to get help is simply
to write a quick start guide to your favorite application, or share a
procedure/workaround for that software. Check the help files for the
software you use regularly and determine if they are meeting your needs, and
why they aren't meeting your needs. Rewrite those procedures or develop new
ones.

On place where you can really add value is in the shareware market. Do you
have a piece of shareware you use not quite often enough to be an expert,
but enough that you know that it is lacking decent help? Develop the help
for it - even though you might not get paid for it, you can always contact
the owner/developer and share your help file with him/her.

Beyond that, document procedures in your current company...how do you go
about getting some task done? Don't overlook the obvious (even documenting
how to use that overly complex telephone can be of tremendous value).

If you're having trouble doing that, start a newsletter for you family. It
can be internal, documenting things that happen in your house, or external,
letting others know what's going on in your life....You can even create one
for your extended family to send to grandma and the cousins.

HTH!
Jeff Hanvey
Augusta, GA
jewahe -at- lycos -dot- co -dot- uk
http://www.jewahe.net

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com