Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information

Subject: Re: Tooting my own horn...Resume Information
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:46:37 -0800

Mike O. wrote:

So let me get this straight... The HR rep doesn't have time to
read the education section of my resume which lists my degree,
which is required for the job I am applying for, but that's OK,
because my college professors didn't have time to read my term
papers anyway.
That's okay. If you're responding to my comments, then *you* didn't read *them*, either. Not carefully, anyway ;->

But, as long as I'm writing, I might as well add that the reason I tried the experiment of reading first and last paragraphs is because it's a technique that editors have used for years to handle the slush pile - the name commonly given to unsolicited manuscripts.

As for the hiring situation, remember that while the goal of job seekers is to get hired, HR generally has two goals: to find a person who's a reasonable fit for the job, and to reduce workload. Generally speaking, their techniques accomplish both. They don't always get the best person for the job, but they do generally get someone who can do the job.

Not that the results are any less frustrating for job seekers, of course.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Some say the Devil's just an angel in the dark,
Some say the Devil's just a good man feeling bad,
Some say the Devil's just the lads out for a lark,
Some say the Devil plays the only music glad and good."
-Jez Lowe, "Tear-Drop Two-Step"

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com