RE: The odds of finding work through job ads

Subject: RE: The odds of finding work through job ads
From: Maggie Pierce Secara <maggiros -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:49:56 -0800 (PST)

Hmm, let me see. I got my first two TW jobs from
contacts, the next from the newspaper, the next two
from contacts, then the newspaper again. In all of
those cases, the contact was someone I knew socially,
not from working with them. (The Renaissance Faire is
a wonderful thing.)

After that there have been so many others, it's hard
to remember. Fewer from contacts/networking now, I
think, than earlier. In the last few years, they've
often come from people who saw my resume--even when
they didn't have their job posted--on a job board.

Yesterday I got a call from an in-house recruiter who
had seen my resume on Monster, just a few hours after
I'd responded to the ad that was posted there for the
position. In other words, she got to me before I (or
my information) got to her. Of course, now I have to
wait for the hiring manager to call me, but at least I
got past HR!

So in my experience, the job boards are definitly not
a waste of time. Just keep the "posted" date fresh, so
you don't look like you're dying on the vine.

Maggie Secara

--- Nancy Kaminski <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
wrote:

> I got my first tech writing job by sending
> one-paragraph cold call
> letters to R&D managers of 50 local high-tech
> companies (gleaned from a
> directory in the local business library). Out of
> those 50 letters, I got
> five phone calls, one interview, and one contract
> (that led to three
> more contracts at the same company).

http://platinum.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com