re: bullets turning blue

Subject: re: bullets turning blue
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 08:30:49 -0800 (PST)

There are a couple of issues,

1) If I use the default "Hyperlink" character style I
get undesireable results no matter what. The
cross-reference will not take on the formatting of the
character style even though the bullet does.

2) The workaround to 1) is to create another character
style that duplicates the "Hyperlink" one and use the
new style to tag the cross-reference.

3) If I highlight the cross reference and not the
paragraph marker and apply the new character style,
the paragraph marker gets tagged with the style
anyway.

4) The workaround to 3) is that after applying the
character style to the cross-reference, I have to
select the paragraph marker and press ctrl+space to
remove the formatting. This makes the bullet black.

5) But, maybe setting the font style color of the
bullet to something other than auto will do it too.
I'll test tonight.

6) If I inserted a Hyperlink instead of a Cross-ref,
I'd get the formatting exactly how I want it without
having to apply a character style over the top.
Unfortunately, I also want page numbers, so I cannot
use a Hyperlink and must use a cross-reference.

I think what I'm running into here is using Word for
something it was not designed.

Cheers,

Sean

--- Dick Margulis <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net> wrote:

> Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com> wrote:
> -------------------------------
> >
> >That's happening because the bullet color for your
> bullet style is probably set to Auto. Auto colors
> the bullet whatever color the text in the style is.
>
> IME, the bullet takes on the color set for the
> paragraph. To test this hypothesis, turn on
> invisible marks and select the paragraph mark at the
> end of the bulleted paragraph. Change the color of
> the mark to black and watch the bullet change to
> black.
>
> So, because Sean 1's issue was with a character
> style, the question is whether that character style
> is somehow being applied to the whole paragraph that
> contains the link. Just something else to consider.

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com