Re: Word numbered lists, need workarounds 2 gotchas . . .

Subject: Re: Word numbered lists, need workarounds 2 gotchas . . .
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 07:31:20 -0800 (PST)

Thanks.

I laugh, too, because, since Word 2, I've been unable
to get auto-numbered lists to work repeatedly and
reliably. I created these numbering styles from
scratch, they are not someone else's, and so
half-thought that it might work. Bah!

(I also have a very hard time positioning graphics,
both inline and floating, esp. when the graphic needs
to be positioned at the bottom of the text column or
at the top of the next page because it won't fit at
the bottom of a text column . . ..)

I did check the MVP page but came up with nothing
reasonable. That is, there is nothing easy to find
that gets lists working, only a link to the numbering
newsgroup (which I am using and from which I expect
some excellent recommendations for 12-step programmes)
and some references to VBA, but no directions that I
can find on what VBA and how to get it working.

--- Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com> wrote:
> -------------------------------------
> Sean Brierley asked:
> If I select where I want the numbering to restart,
> and
> right-click and select Restart Numbering, the
> numbering restarts but also takes on an extra,
> unwanted indent that was not defined in the style.
> -------------------------------------
>
> Hehehe. I laugh because I had this very same
> problem, and I ended up having to go into the DOT
> file itself, delete the style, set all of the
> numbering back to defaults in the Bullets and
> Numbering dialog. Recreate the style. That worked
> for us when we had the exact same problem.
>
> As for your second problem, do you have soft returns
> between the heading and the first number?

No. Never. I never use soft returns or empty
paragraphs as "styling or layout elements." <g>

> Also, check out the MVP site about numbering in Word
> if you haven't done so. It REALLY helped me out.

Cheers,

Sean

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com