Re: Tech Writer Wannabe Wants to Enhance Skills

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Wannabe Wants to Enhance Skills
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:58:49 -0800 (PST)

"Morgan Landry" wrote

> First, I believe it's important to say that I was
> a Computer Science major for a while, but I quit because I had problems
> understanding the theoretical applications of my job-such as data
> structures and algorithms. Will my lack of technical knowledge hurt me?

Yes. It will hurt you. While some places hire non-technical people for support,
desktop publishing and copy editor type jobs, your long term career options
will be limited. You will be struggling against the tide of not only people
with experience, but also many writers who DO have technical skills. Including
programmers, engineers, and other folks who will take tech writing jobs to pay
the bills (and have extensive tech skills).

You should learn these theoretical concepts. And if you're having problems with
them, then maybe you should ask yourself - do I really want a career that is
filled with science and technology?

> What can I do to enhance it while I am still in college?

Take some tech and general science courses. You should have at least one class
in physics, calculus, chemistry, etc. and some computer engineering courses.
This basic science background will make you much better equipped to document
complex technologies.

> Second, I'm
> debating whether I should get a Masters in Technical Communication
> degree from Texas Tech. Has anyone heard of this program and will it be
> useful to a person who is new to the tech writing field?

Marginal value. Tech and science courses would be more valuable.

Knowing how to write is basic skill #1 in tech writing. Basic skill #2 is
science & tech proficiency. A lacking in either is a lacking as a whole. To
focus on either basic skill, to the exclusion of the other, will result in a
lacking as a whole.

This is why they call them, *technical* writers.

Andrew Plato

http://webhosting.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE
RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total
giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com