Re: technical skills vs. writing skills (again)

Subject: Re: technical skills vs. writing skills (again)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:03:04 -0800

Edwin Wurster wrote:

I think I would have gone on and used a related subject area that I knew about, and demonstrated that I could apply some of the process to the new area, but not all.

That wouldn't have worked in this case, because of the nature of the test, and the fact that the company is in a niche market. I could - and did - show that I had a background of picking up highly technical subjects.

Also, having noted that I lacked the expertise, I went on to say that my answers would show how I would set about gaining the expertise. I did the exercise, but included points where I didn't have enough information, and the questions I would to go about gaining expertise.

Then, in the interview, I asked about access to a test bed and source code, as well as to developers.

It's not very often that I feel that I handled an interview as well as I could, but in this case I think I did.

On the other hand, companies seem to be looking for experience in specific areas. On that requirement you did not do well.

True, but I didn't want a job that required me to work in a haze of ignorance. By being honest, I ensured that neither me nor the company would waste time. Since the company brought me in for a second interview after I did the exercise, my answers were obviously acceptable.

Also, unless the company promoted internally, nobody was likely to have real expertise. There was a small chance that someone from a cometitor might show up, but that wasn't very likely, either. So, under the circumstances, my answer was probably as good as the company was going to get.

I suppose, though, that the company might decide that none of us were suitable.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Some say the Devil's just an angel in the dark,
Some say the Devil's just a good man feeling bad,
Some say the Devil's just the lads out for a lark,
Some say the Devil plays the only music glad and good."
-Jez Lowe, "Tear-Drop Two-Step"

Order RoboHelp X3 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate, plus FREE RoboScreenCapture, WebHelp Merge Module and iMarkupSoftware, for a total giveaway value of $473! Order here: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com