Re: WORD2000 make index also be hyperlinks?

Subject: Re: WORD2000 make index also be hyperlinks?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:45:45 -0800

bethany_rusbasan -at- leco -dot- com wrote:

> For MS Word2000, does anyone know how to automatically make
> the index [entry's page number] also be a hyperlink to the
> page it is referencing?

Out of what seems (to me) like sheer laziness, Microsoft has never included that feature in Word.

If your output format is PDF, though, you're in luck. Virginia Systems (www.virginiasystems.com) makes a neat little tool called Sonar Bookends Activate that does exactly what you want. I don't use any of the other products from Virginia Systems, but Activate has saved me days of frustrating, tedious, error-prone effort in the three years or so that I've been using it.

Activate isn't cheap (around $200 when I registered it) but it's paid for itself many times over. Hyperlinking page numbers in the index is the only thing I use it for, although it has other features, too.

--David

P.S. I have no relationship with Virginia Systems, except as a
satisfied user of this one product. I don't get anything
for saying nice things about this one product.

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

HTML Indexer 4 includes fully integrated cross-references, target frames
and windows, multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries,
and more!

http://www.html-indexer.com/

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com