Tech Writer makes it BIG on CBC!!

Subject: Tech Writer makes it BIG on CBC!!
From: Jonathan Stoppi <stops -at- qualum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:35:22 -0800

I feel like a child who's been caught not listening in class. Here in Victoria, no one has commented on my broadcast last week, while all this discussion has been going on in TechWr-L and Techshoret (the Israeli TW forum), which I had no inkling about as I've been too busy in non-tech-writing matters to have monitored the TechWr-L postings recently.

My thanks to Len Kirby for his praise, but BIG on CBC? Hardly. Just a one-off piece on Commentary, which I had to rustle up in a matter of hours. If it leads to regular commentary, I'll be pleased, of course, because I was weaned on politics, writing and broadcasting since birth.

Paula Stern is right: tech writers in Israel still have it good - comparatively - thanks to the sheer advantage of knowing English. As a technical writer, there's little chance in Canada of earning the kind of salary I earned in Israel. Since my departure last July, dozens more in the company I worked for have been laid off in a second downsizing in a year, including my own former boss, yet the position of the technical writer is secure, because if he goes, then the company might as well turn off the lights.

If I left, it's not for reasons of career, but because of a pet (ironically, Hebrew-related) project of mine that couldn't get funding in Israel.

- Jonathan Lotan Stoppi
Relocates here and there
stops @ qualum.com

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com