Re: Calling a Bug a Bug

Subject: Re: Calling a Bug a Bug
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:32:57 -0500

I always expect that customers will read release notes (ok, I'm an optimist!) so when referring to anything in the product that does not work the way we want it to, I am very careful to make our product sound as stable and robust as possible. I never use the term "bug" in any document that will go to a customer. I also avoid words such as defect, problem, and issue. "Issue" sounds argumentative; "defect", "flaw" or "imperfection" sounds like someone didn't do their job. If I _must_ use one of those words, I prefer "problem" because problems have solutions.

Rather than saying "there is a problem with alignment of non-portrait text" I prefer to say "non-portrait text may not align correctly" and then give them the workaround if there is one. Heavy use of the word "may" because some customers may never encounter the problem, even though it exists.

And I NEVER include the big long list of bug numbers that have been fixed in a release, e.g., 5122, 5123, 5134, 5145, 5166, 5278, 5982, etc. What would you think, as a customer, if you got a notice saying the new software you just purchased has had scores of fixes? Instead of being impressed at how diligent the developers are, you're starting to wonder if you didn't just buy some smelly Swiss cheese containing holes they haven't yet found.
--Beth

tgr -at- lanminds -dot- com wrote:

Comrades,

What term do you use when referring to bugs in release notes? Do you call them bugs or are they something else? I have heard them referred to as imperfections, for example. Any opinions?
- t

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com