Re: Please contribute a Terrible Tech Writing Tip!

Subject: Re: Please contribute a Terrible Tech Writing Tip!
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:22:37 -0500

Here's another good one, from a person training ME to instruct an English as a Second Language (ESL) class:

'Don't say, "I don't know." Be sure to tell the students that this topic will be covered in depth in a subsequent lesson.'

My first and only language is English. It comes as naturally to me as breathing does to you. Your "second language" is maybe second, third, fourth or fifth. You already have the skills you need to learn a new language: motivation... the desire, or need. I can't tell you I know something when I don't: good f***ing question! Let me look it up and and educate myself, then you!

I hope she's now buried in babies and housework and grunt-work and doesn't have TIME to teach ESL anymore!!

My heartfelt apologies to those whose hearts and minds are consumed by productive housework, grunt-work and babies, and who do not contribute to the demise of honest pedagogy.

Karen Black in Toronto, an insufficiently educated ESL teacher

Is fearr socrú dá dhonacht ná dlí dá fheabhas.
It's better to solve the problem than to improve the law.

From: Loretta Weiss-Morris <loretta -at- panix -dot- com>
For the past five years, each April Fool's Day, I've published a special edition of my Quick
Training Tips newsletter, entitled "Terrible Training Tips!" What's made it so wonderfully
terrible is the many contributions by trainers, teachers, tech writers,
and web developers.

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com