Re: More gender neutrality

Subject: Re: More gender neutrality
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 09:20:06 -0500

AmyD -at- osas -dot- com wrote:

>"One brings his lunch to school."

One brings lunch to school.

Or, likewise, "Everyone brings his books
>to class."

Everyone brings books to class.

Or, "One must enter his password to log in and access the main
>screen."

One must enter a password to ...

>But it might be fun for a while...

Yeah, perhaps. But I'm going to play with the singular use of _they_ and _their_ for a while. I've been doing it for a couple of months and nobody has said boo about it. I use it sparingly, of course, and only when anything else would be wordier or more awkward. Mostly I use second person. If third person is necessary, I generally recast the sentence to use plural subject and verb. But once in a while a singular user has to look up their own password ;-)

Dick

Order RoboHelp Office X3 by March 14 and receive a $100 mail-in rebate,
plus FREE WebHelp Merge Module and FREE iMarkup Software, for a
total giveaway value of $439! Order today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com