RE: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results

Subject: RE: Why JPGs for screen captures? test results
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 14:27:10 -0600

Sean writes:

> EPS is fine. It's just extra, unnecessary steps in many
> instances. Really, a raster screen capture will work fine.

True. In my case, though, I keep my screen at 1600×1200 DPI so that I can
get lots of real estate. That means, however, that a dialog box that appears
as a "normal" size comes in as an 11" width. That's a bit much, especially
since I use Frame's sidehead feature, which really gives me about 4" of
usable width. It is far easier for me to pull the bitmap into PhotoShop,
resize it, and save it as an EPS than to constantly muck with my screen
resolution. Since I use keyboard accelerator keys, converting to EPS doesn't
add much time to my process.

Also, resizing and saving as EPS files allows me to maintain a consistent
image size (measurement, not file size) even when some dialog boxes may be
slightly larger or smaller.

> The trick with x-platform EPS is to use 8-bit TIFF as the
> preview, not Pict and not Wmf.

Actually, I have found that using 8-bit TIFF preview is essential even when
the entire workflow is kept on my PC (PhotoShop > EPS > into Frame > into
Distiller....)

But, as has been said on this list many times, whatever works! This is a
rgeat workflow and process for us here, and we've solved the dilemna of
being able to resize screen shots and still have crystal clear PDFs.

Cheers,

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from
vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?"

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com