RE: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: RE: Educational areas to pursue
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:58:27 -0700

One thing to be aware of is your obligation to the company after you get
this "company paid for" training.

While training has been offered/available and paid for/reimbursed by the
company, the companies I've been at that have such arrangements also have
included clauses in the training agreement/company policy document/etc.
requiring the employee to stay at the company for a certain period of time
after completion of the training. If the employee leaves before that
period, they are required to repay the training fee (usu. on some sort of
pro-rated scale).

When the obligation is reasonable, I've taken advantage of the opportunity -
it helps me, it helps the company, it's a win-win situation all around.
When the obligation is unreasonable (one employer offered to pay for
training, but only if I committed to staying with the company for an
additional 5 years, and agreed to fully repay the training if I left for any
reason before that time had elapsed. true!), I've said "no thanks" and
pursued the training on my own resources if I really needed/wanted it.