Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:35:54 -0800 (PST)

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

> That's exactly why I started tech-writing, and why I've spent much of
> time contracting. It seems to me that tech-writing is ideal for people
> who want to have variety and to try new things. With contracting, the
> variety becomes even greater.

I agree. There are so many opportunities to learn, why turn them down? I find
it very short-sighted to offhandled reject something because it *might* be
worthless as a career. In my experience, all knowledge has value. Even
knowledge of bad things - when put into perspective properly. This is why
people study things like Nazis and serial killers. The only way to stop them is
to understand them. We're doomed to repeat failures without understanding.

> In fact, I can't think of any aspect of high-tech business that isn't
> improved by product knowledge. True story: ... A little
> probing revealed that he didn't know how to uncompress a file. At that
> point, I could see the faces stiffening on the other side of the table,
> and I seriously debated sliding under the board room table and
> disappearing.

Ignorance is the most insidious weapon of mass destruction.

Andrew Plato

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com