Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: Paul DuBois <paul -at- kitebird -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:04:14 -0600

> > I'll give you an example. I once worked a project that required that I
> > write about Windows. I don't like Windows, but I had to learn stuff about
> > it I didn't know in order to complete the project. Did that increase my
> > technical competence about Windows? Of course. Did I like learning about
> > it? No. The more I know about Windows, the more I *don't* like it.
> > But my desire to avoid Windows has nothing to do with my general competence
> > as a writer.
>
> Yes it does...it makes you generally less competent to document Windows

It does NOT. Remember, I learned what I needed to, as requested. I did
what my employer asked. That doesn't mean I have to *like* the thing
I was learning about. You seem to think that the mere opporunity to
learn something new is something to jump at. (Perhaps I'm putting words
in your mouth here, but that's the sense I get from your postings.)
I don't agree. There's a lot of things I'd like to know about, given
the time. There are a lot I couldn't care less about, no matter how
much time I have.

> technologies and Windows-concepts. You may be strong in other areas, but your
> reluctance to learn or use a particular technology limits your employment
> opportunities. Maybe that isn't an issue for you, specifically, but for other
> folks, it would be. Hence advice that says "only learn what you like" isn't
> very good advice, since it could wind up limiting a person to the point where
> they can never get a job.
>
> > If you were to come along and say that my reluctance about
> > Windows means I must be a font fondler, I would reject your argument.
>
> If you don't like something, that is, of course, your choice. If you choose not
> to learn about a technology, that is your choice as well. But those choices
> have CONSEQUENCES. And the consequences could be: no job, low paying job, lay
> off, termination, lack of respect, etc. They also could mean jobs in other
> areas.

Sure. Not that I refused to learn about Windows. Sheesh. Read what I
wrote, not what you'd like me to have said.

[rest deleted]

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com