RE: Having a Life Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: RE: Having a Life Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: "Domaschuk, Rob" <Robd -at- datalogics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:52:00 -0600

Eric write:

> The downside is that a finite portion of your life is
> wrenched away from other priorities in life.

Eric, I could not agree more (well, I *could* but I am employing a little
bit of hyperbole)...

First, I am grateful for any and all training that my employer can give me.
I've recently been able to take some courses in VB as well as other areas. I
do, however, have a personal requirement that the training be done during
the work week (and during the day). If it is a weekend or evening gig, I
tell my employer that I need to discuss it with my spouse, as it now affects
her. BTW, I am a DINK (as well as other things....)

It has never been an issue with an employer. Partly because this requirement
of mine is not a surprise. They always know (because I tell them) that I
need the downtime if I am going to be effective during work hours. Also, the
manner and tone that I use is non-threatening, friendly, and is a
discussion, not a pronouncement.

Timing is everything - if I tell them that non-work time is mine and the
company will reap far more benefit from me getting my relaxation and family
time in when it is not an issue, then we can always find a way to work
around a schedule. There are usually alternate training providers, alternate
class times, etc. I just have to be willing to be flexible to meet their
request for more training.

My justification (which works for me, thank-you) is that I get up at 5:30 to
get ready for work, am on the train downtown at 7:20, and don't get home
until 6:40 at night (assuming I am not working late). I go to bed around
10:30. That leaves me with 4 hours each day for me and my family. If I work
one extra hour, I am only giving myself an extra 11% work time (and even
then, that extra time is when I am tired and not functioning at 100%).
HOWEVER, that extra 1 hour reduces my relaxing and recharging time by 25%.
Thanks-but no thanks.

If, after having a friendly conversation about off-hours, after trying to
find other ways of accommodating their request, or finding some solution, my
employer decides to take punitive action, then chances are that there have
already been other issues and this instance hasn't been a surprise to me
either.

Rob Domaschuk | 312.853.8337 - p
Technical Writer | 719.623.7431 - f
Datalogics, inc. | www.datalogics.com

"If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from
vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?"

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com