RE: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: RE: Educational areas to pursue
From: Lyn Worthen <Lyn -dot- Worthen -at- caselle -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:39:19 -0700

Having had to pursue my own database education while simultaneously
struggling with documenting a database-driven product -- and having had my
employer at the time reject my request for any sort of DB training (he said
that I "didn't need to know anything about databases to document the product
- it was that intuitive." right) -- I would suggest that you take a serious
look at the topics your employer has suggested and their possible
application to both your current job as well as to your future
marketability. Especially if the employer is willing to help cover the
costs of your education.

FWIW,

> Many of us work with database-driven products; if that's
> the case at your company I'd think a database class would
> not be a step towards being a rookie DBA, but towards being
> a more knowledgable and valuable tech writer for documenting
> your company's products. And your company may need
> programming or API docs ...

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com