Re: Extracting text from database to format in Framemaker MIF file

Subject: Re: Extracting text from database to format in Framemaker MIF file
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:40:19 +0100

Ken...

You should try over at the FrameUsers list - subscribe via frameusers.com.

If your source data doesn't include tables, you should also check out MML. That's like a much-simplified version of MIF. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to create the entire MIF document - just the MIF to import into a flow in your template.

I have an ongoing contract with a company that generates many Meg of MIF, and I import that into their template and do the production work - it's not a bad system. However, they invested a decent amount of time in the script that massages their data into MIF. They went so far as to convert raw data into circuit diagrams drawn in MIF! It's plenty of work. If you could get away with MML, I suggest it.

Another approach may be to convert the data into XML - your Oracle implementation might already include the utility to do that. Then you can just open the XML in structured Maker, and masage the resulting EDD to get your formatting by element. Or you can create a full-blown structure application app before you bring in the XML. I personally think that would be easier than MIF, but that's just an opinion (they're cheap).

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com